Friday, November 16, 2012

Starting with the basics

As a starting point, we need to understand what affects the quality of light.  There are two basic rules that was taught to me by Dean Collins back in the early 80's.  They are:

1.  The larger your light source, the softer your light. 

If you use a small light source like these Photogenic Mini Spots, you'll have a harsher light.



Note the edge shadow by the nose and how the shadow is defined.

 My usual light modifier are umbrellas.  The larger surface area makes for a softer light.  Note edge shadows on nose.  It's not as harsh




 On occasion, when I need a really soft light and I have a neutral light colored wall, I'll bounce the main light off the wall to create even a softer light.


The two lights in the back are to illuminate the background for a high key effect.

End of today's lesson.






No comments:

Post a Comment