Thursday, November 15, 2012

Time to get something on this blog

Ok, I created this blog to hopefully teach photographers (no matter what skill level) some of the stuff I've learned as a photographer for almost 40 years.  I'll start with a calender I created to hopefully get some insight to a friend who wants to improve her skills.

I was testing a new flash to see how it would work.  Had I left it on my camera, it would have looked flat and meh...  What I did was put it on a stand and raised it up high enough so that the angle emulated the angle of the main light in a studio setting.  I also positioned it to camera left so that I would create texture on the subject.  A light stand helps a lot to get it high enough.  Granted you could have someone holding it with their arms extended but unless you get someone who is a basketball center with long arms, the normal person could not get their arms high enough.

ISO 200
Canon EOS 7D
Canon 24-105mm IS L lens at 24mm
1/160 sec, f5.0
Using a Yongbu flash unit which cost about $100 for the flash unit, the radio slave transmitter and receiver.  Cheap but it's a manual flash unit but it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment