Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Westcott's new Omega reflector

I saw a post someplace about Westcott's new Omega lighting system.  It was an interesting post about how this reflector has a puka (hole) in the middle of the reflector, one puts the main light behind your subject which allows it to act as a hair light and bounces off the reflector to light your subject.


So I preordered one.  It took almost two months before B&H had it in stock but I just got it in yesterday.  Since I had a headshot session scheduled, I traded the session cost if the model would be a test subject for the reflector.

How did I set it up?  Out of the box, it has three layers.  A gold side, a silver side and a white translucent side.  All three have the center section velcroed on to the main layer.  It can be used as a regular reflector but the way I wanted to use it, I had to remove the velcroed sections.

I then needed to light stands and some clamps to secure the reflector so I could work with it by myself.  Sorry for the mess in the background.  It's the nature of a pack rat.



The light is set up behind the subject (next to the background) and aimed at the reflector.  The reflector is used as a scrim to prevent the light from the flash from hitting your camera lens.


The subject sits fronting the reflector and one takes the photo aiming the camera through the puka (hole).


This is what it looks like from camera position.


And the final look.  I still need to do some tweaking and also to try and work this so I can use flash units that are battery powered units.


Not too bad for a single light and a single reflector.




No comments:

Post a Comment